FIND MY SCHOOL OR COLLEGE
In this section of our website, you can find information on the different Higher and Further Education outreach opportunities available in the Liverpool City Region, as well as nationally. These outreach opportunities are designed to support learners to increase their knowledge of Higher Education and make the best choices for them. We’ll regularly update this section as opportunities become available, but if you’d like to discuss which outreach provision would be best for your students, or are interested in something not listed here, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this further.
Clicking each box will take you direct to the institution’s outreach webpage. Please be aware that eligibility criteria will apply to many of these opportunities, and due to the current COVID-19 situation, some may be running in altered formats at the moment.
Cronton Sixth Form College
At Cronton Sixth Form College we offer schools and their pupils the opportunity to access a wide range of activities and events to support them with their transition from school. These events include:
- Oxbridge events as part of the college’s Prestigious Universities Programme, which is designed to support students gain entrance at some of the world’s best institutions and Russell Group Universities
- Through ‘The Cronton Experience’, students have access to a wide range of additional opportunities such as the Tomorrow’s Scientists, Lawyers and Teachers programmes and Student Leadership
- Cronton Sixth Form also offers Scholarships to students worth up to £2,000 in its three Centres of Excellent (STEM, Sport and Performing Arts)
- A virtual open day is available here for prospective students
Edge Hill University
We are currently running EHU@Home live sessions on Wednesday evenings, focusing on a relevant topic in line with the time of year and application timeline
Our Pre-16 offer includes our EHU Literacy Challenge designed to support the development of students’ literacy skills, as well as support them to find out information about subjects available to study at HE level, and our Edge into Action Programme, where students are given the opportunity to identify and research a social or scientific topic area
A Parent/Carer newsletter is sent out bimonthly, which includes downloadable resources. You can sign up to receive this newsletter here
IntoUniversity provides local learning centres where young people can access innovative programmes including mentoring, academic support, employability support, and FOCUS weeks. The IntoUniversity North Liverpool centre is based in Anfield and run in partnership with the LFC Foundation and the University of Liverpool. Please contact the team at the North Liverpool centre directly to register and find out more about the days programmes are running.
LIPA’s Widening Participation Team are pleased to offer a range of activities for school/college groups (subject to capacity. These include:
- Campus visits and school/college group visits to student performances
- Bespoke practical workshops in schools/college
- Talks and Q&A sessions from students and graduates to help learners understand wider career possibilities in the performing arts
- Attendance at careers fair events
All activities are free at the point of delivery for schools/colleges. Some activities may be delivered virtually while social distancing restrictions remain.
In addition, the following are offered outside of school time to individuals interested in performing arts and making performance possible (some eligibility criteria may apply):
- LIPA’s Year 10/11 Widening Participation Programme (aimed primarily at Merseyside students) consists of a series of activities which cover both performing and backstage aspects of the creative and performing arts. These take place at LIPA during school holidays and occasional evenings and aim to help students to progress their skills whilst exploring future career and training options within this exciting industry
- For Year 12 students, LIPA offer two free summer activities: Get Set, a three-day residential experience targeted at students from postcode areas identified at having the lowest progression rates to university, and Get Ready, a one-day, non-residential event. Both events are designed to help participants decide if LIPA could be right for them and give them an insight into university life. They include practical workshops as well as sessions on completing applications and preparing for auditions and interviews to study at Higher Education Level.
All of the workshop sessions offered are delivered by a combination of LIPA teaching staff, graduates and students, who share their experience of studying at LIPA, preparing for auditions/interviews and working in the performing arts industry.
For further information or to book one of these activities, please contact LIPA’s Widening Participation Team: 0151 330 3010 / email@example.com.
Liverpool Hope University
At Liverpool Hope University we provide a wide range of stimulating and informative sessions for young people considering their future options. These sessions can be tailored to suit individual school and college requirements, and can be delivered virtually or face-to-face where possible. Our activities include:
- Sessions on topics such as personal statements, student finance or how to choose the right university
- EPQ and Library Support events, where students are introduced to academic research and how to use an academic library
- Pre and Post-16 Set Days, where students are able to visit campus and experience university through taster sessions and workshops
- Academic subject taster sessions
Liverpool John Moores University
The Outreach Team at Liverpool John Moores provides comprehensive support to schools and colleges at both pre and post-16 level in a way of ways:
- Campus visits can be requested through our website, focused on a range of topics including UCAS and personal statements, university for parents, EPQ support, study skills, student finance and student life
- In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, we are still here to support prospective students and applicants, as well as teachers and careers advisers through our virtual site. We have compiled a number of useful links to different websites to support you and we are adding new session content all the time
- Our Outreach On Demand centre is a 24/7 virtual centre for students to access key information on Higher Education through outreach staff, course leaders and current students
- Law Factor is LJMU’s access to the professions programme, giving pupils from LJMU’s widening participation schools the opportunity to discover more about the legal profession through a structured programme of activity delivered by Liverpool based law firm, DWF
- Regular, on-line chats are available to support mature students in their application to Higher Education. Chat with staff and current mature students about admissions, funding and life at LJMU. These chats take place monthly, you can view dates and register for these chats here
At Riverside College, we offer schools and their pupils the opportunity to access a wide range of activities and events aiming to support them in transitioning from school. These events include:
- Taster days and workshops along with activities around Higher Education and Apprenticeships
- A virtual open day is available here for prospective students
Riverside College also offers a number of degree level courses for students who wish to stay local and take advantage of the small class sizes and reduced fees.
St Helens College
St Helens College’s School Liaison Team promote choice and opportunities to young people, as they begin to explore their options and make that all important decision about their future upon leaving school. The team can offer a range of engaging activities, events and services, that can be tailored to meet your requirements, such as:
- Tours of campus
- Industry experience sessions
- Career coach workshops.
The Brilliant Club
The Brilliant Club is a university access charity working across the UK, aiming to increase the number of pupils from underrepresented backgrounds progressing to highly selective universities. They offer two programmes: The Scholars Programme and the Brilliant Tutoring Programme. The Scholars Programme pairs pupils with a PhD researcher to enable them to experience university-style teaching and develop the skills, knowledge, and confidence to excel in Higher Education. The Brilliant Tutoring Programme is part of the National Tutoring Programme to address the gaps in learning caused by school closures. Please contact the Brilliant Club directly to find out more about how your school can benefit from these programmes.
University of Chester
The University of Chester Outreach team work closely with students of all ages, teachers and advisors to provide interactive information, advice and guidance and deliver a range of events and activities designed to broaden aspirations and enhance the awareness and benefits of higher education.
Our resources for Post-16 Students [Link to ] provide impartial and accurate information on student finance and the UCAS application process. We also have a number of study skills workbooks that can help prepare students for life at university
Our resources for Teachers and Advisers are intended to assist with any developments concerning higher education, as well as providing useful signposting resources for you to be able to support your students
We publish regular blogs on a wide range of topics relating to all aspects of educational decision-making as well as materials specifically designed to support teachers and parents
The Outreach Team at Chester offer a diverse range of workshops and talks on subjects including: Introduction to Higher Education, Student Experience, Student Finance, UCAS and Personal Statements, Study Skills, Options and Subject Specific content. Details of upcoming events are added to our events page
Suitable for GCSE students upwards, our ‘Kitchen Sessions’ are a great opportunity to get a taster of university-style teaching and to explore a subject in more depth. Sessions will be streamed live on the University of Chester YouTube channel at the times advertised on our Kitchen Sessions webpage
The University of Chester Faculty of Science and Engineering STEM Outreach Programme offers school students the opportunity to see what ‘real’ engineers and scientists do, through practical application and problem solving activities in Science, Engineering and Mathematics
University of Liverpool
The Widening Participation and Outreach team at the University of Liverpool aims to inspire, engage and enable all those who would not traditionally consider higher education, to fulfill their potential by raising their awareness, challenging barriers, and providing opportunities. We offer an extensive programme of outreach opportunities including:
- Campus visits for schools with high proportions of students in receipt of FSM/PP funding
- Subject-based residentials for Y10 students
- Merseyside Young Health and Life Scientists, a rolling three-year programme of health-related activities and support for young people in Years 9-11 who are from under-represented groups and have the potential and interest in studying health and life science subjects at university
- Liverpool Scholars, a programme offering a range of activities for Year 12 students aimed at supporting their entry to, and preparing them for Higher Education. Successful completion of the Liverpool Scholars programme enables students to receive additional consideration on their application to study at the University of Liverpool.
We also offer bespoke support for a range of the most disadvantaged students, including Care Leavers, Young Adult Carers, Estranged Students and Refugees, under our umbrella title of ‘Disrupted Education’.
- Discover Uni is a website containing details about the universities and courses available in the UK, as well as advice on how to make your higher education choices.
- UCAS provides the system through which students apply to university, and provides information on all elements of the process, including advertising UCAS fairs and other events